26A – Celebrating Failure
1) A time I failed this semester was actually quite recently. I competed in the 200 individual medley relay at the SEC championships of the mens swim & dive team at UF. We were in the a final, and I was the butterfly swimmer. My time was good, but not as fast as I was capable of. We finished 2nd place, and I thought about if I would’ve swam faster, we could've won. 1 week later I went to another meet, and swam way faster. I felt guilty because we might've won with my time from one week later.
2) What I learned from this event that even at the biggest competitions of the year, things might not always go that well. You just have to work with what you have at that point in time.
3) My thoughts about failure is that it sucks, but it needs to happen to put your mind in mental check. If everything went right for you I would question whether or not you are actually pushing yourself to be the best you can be. I handle failure with just reflecting on what happened for about an hour after it happened, for instance after my relay, I was in the warm down pool swimming and reflecting on my race. Getting angry after it is definitely not good as when you're blocking yourself from being reasonable. Such as you start blaming everyone else instead of yourself, and saying that it's just not fair.
Hey Eric,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post. I see how passionate you are about swimming. I feel your pain when you talk about how guilty you felt about not winning. I've been in the same circumstance with soccer. At the time it seems that all the hard work was for nothing but I learned from my mistakes. I'm sure you'll win next year.
SEC huh? That you sure makes me feel young. It seems like only yesterday that I began my journey here on campus. Now look at me. Its been a while. And here we are. There's you, and there's me, and there's everyone else. And we are all here. Isn't that something? I think so. I think it's something. Better than nothing.
ReplyDelete